International students have the option of completing a four-year degree at Bennett College or beginning their journey through a short-term language study in our Intensive English Language/ESL Program. For more information about the Intensive English Language Program, please click here.
Requirements for degree seeking international student applicants:
- Official transcript of all academic work (English translation), with transcript guide to secondary courses and validation of post-secondary A-1 level courses (all transcripts must have English translation), must be submitted to World Education Services (WES) for verification and evaluation.
- International students are responsible for all costs associated with transcript evaluation. As such, the application fee is waived.
- Statement of Financial Readiness
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation (one must come from school counselor)
- A I-20 will not be issued until verification of financial readiness has been provided. Please download the I-20 Applicant Packet and return with other required documentation. Click here to download the I-20 packet.
- TOEFL or TOEFL: BT Scores (TOEFL minimum score 507 and TOEFL: BT minimum score 64)
- International students must also provide immunization records as required by the state of North Carolina.
After meeting the requirements, you will be issued an I-20 and provided with your SEVIS ID and student copy of the F-1 Admissions paperwork. You must then pay your SEVIS fee.
I-901 SEVIS Fee
The I-901 SEVIS Fee ($200) is a required payment to the US government based on your I-20 SEVIS ID number. You are required to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee before you apply for your F-1 visa or enter the US.
Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee at FMJfee.com.
- Print payment confirmation and keep it with your I-20.
- For graduate students hired as Graduate Employees (GE):International students hired as GEs may request reimbursement of the I-901 SEVIS Fee from the Graduate School. For reimbursement instructions go to SEVIS Fee Reimbursement for International GEs.
F-1 Student Visa
Apply for your F-1 visa AFTER paying the SEVIS fee
- Schedule a visa appointment at the nearest US embassy or consulate using the I-20 SEVIS ID number which begins with “N00…” You can apply for your visa up to 120 days before the program start date on your I-20. For more information about the visa process, go to the Study in the States website.
- For Canadian Citizens: You are not required to apply for an F-1 visa. You can enter the US with a valid passport, your I-20 and I-901 Fee payment confirmation.
Entering the US
You may only enter the US up to 30 days before the program start date on your I-20; not earlier! Arrival to the US should be a smooth experience if you have everything prepared in advance. Information on what to expect when entering the US can be found at Study in the States.
Additionally, upon arrival on campus, all international students who are not citizens of the United States MUST report to the Bennett College Office of the Registrar with an official passport, visa, and other relevant documents attesting to their status as students or visitors. Copies of documents will be made for official College use. The student will receive and be required to complete the Bennett College Rights and Responsibilities Form, which provides international visitors with protective legal information.
For further information and questions, please contact:
Kelly Mallari, M.A.