As a partner, your support will help us develop, enhance, and implement innovative career development programs and services for students of Bennett College. It is through the generous support of our employers (like you) that we can extend our services and programs beyond our institutional capability.
Bennett College Office of Career Service’s Freshwoman to Internship Support Program (FISP) aims to increase student’s internship participation at the same rate of one Summer. The Office of Career Services will assist you in vetting and screening students before sending them as a strong candidate for an internship position. Therefore, providing a win-win situation, achieving the following objectives:
- Facilitating student participation in experiential career exploration (specifically designed for your organization or company)
- Expanding the diversity of internship/employment opportunities in which Bennett students participate
- Quantity vs. Quality—students prepared for the world of work and committed to the internship position
- Talented, trained, educated students for transparency
- On-hand Teaching Management—Faculty Collaboration
- Alumnae Collaboration
- Deans & Provost Collaboration
- Pre-screening and Vetting of students
The Office of Career Services Freshwoman to Internship Support Program will provide students access to experience through internships. This program is selective. The OCS will ensure all students are aware of its importance, and for applicants to be aware of deadlines and expectations so that they will be prepared to meet your requirements in advance.
Timeline Selection Process
Late January: Virtual information session available for viewing (Optional)
Late January, Early February: In-person information sessions
Early February: Application opens (note: employer component available immediately, below)
March 2 Application Deadline
Early April: Award notification
Late April: Awardees must attend Get Interned Workshop (sponsored by the OCS)
Mid-May: Awards distributed
Information Sessions (Required)
For a student to become eligible to the Office of Career Services’ Freshwoman to Internship Support Program (FISP), prospective applicants must attend two information session offered. Please see below.
In-person Information Sessions for Spring 2016:
- January TBD, 2016: 11:00 – 11:30 a.m., OCS-Auditorium
- January TBD, 2016: 12:00 – 12:30 p.m., OCS-Auditorium
- January TBD, 2016: 2:00 – 2:30 p.m., OCS-Auditorium
- February TBD, 2016: 4:30-5:00 p.m., OCS-Auditorium
- Are currently enrolled undergraduates in good standing at Bennett College who will have (Good standing applies to academics, conduct, and student accounts.)
- Seeking a long-term commitment is required.
- Have attended both information session
- Have attended both webinars (Optional)
- Agree to the terms of the Funding (see below)
- Commit to the program as a rising-Sophomore or Junior
- Required appointed hours of supervised experience completed during the spring and summer
- Supervision of a professional in the organization
- If the internship takes place abroad, students must comply with the University’s Study Abroad International Travel Policy, including the Restricted Regions List (waiver of restriction is sometimes possible)
Additionally, internships must:
- Provide an opportunity for intellectual growth, development of knowledge and skills specific to a career or career setting; exploration of career options and understanding of career pathways;
- acquisition of transferable professional skills (e.g., communication, coping with ambiguity, teamwork, time management, interpersonal skills, goal setting)
- Address the applicant’s specific learning goals as related to furthering career exploration/development, enhancing academic skills/knowledge, and advancing self-knowledge
All application materials must be complete and submitted to the Office of Career Service by TBD. No, exceptions. Late applications will not be accepted.
- Applicant must have attended the required information session and webinars (if provided) to be eligible.
- Applicant must submit the following documents via email:
- Personal Statement
- Unofficial transcript (screenshot of ACES accepted in pdf format)
Stop by the Office of Career Services any time during business hours for assistance.
A committee of the Office of Career Services will vet and screen the student(s), and the employer will make the final decision on each application. Emphasis placed on applicants’ personal statement with support from the resume, transcript, and employer form. A competitive application is one that successfully demonstrates the applicant understands of the link between her goals, past experiences, and the opportunities afforded by the internship in question. Rising Juniors and Seniors will receive priority, but all classifications are a consideration for this process.
Terms and Conditions of the Office of Career Services Freshwoman to Internship Support Program
Awards are NOT transferable to internships outside of the scope of the application.
If selected for an internship, applicants agree to:
- Write a thank-you letter to the employer
- Attend an internship preparation workshop (location, date TBD)
- Submit reflective essay at the conclusion of the internship (forwarded to the employer)
- Participate in a post-internship reception (location, date TBD)
- Submit an entry about your internship to the Internship Feedback Database
All criteria are required by the students and are conditions of the internship. Student’s failure to comply with conditions will jeopardize their current and future in the Freshwoman to Internship Support Program (FISP).