- M.F.A. in Broadcasting and Cinema, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- B.A. in Political Science
Tom Lipscomb serves as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Journalism and Media Studies and the Director of Distance Learning. He has taught full time for five years, and specializes in audio and video production. He also owns TLP, a video production company he founded after finishing film school at UNCG in 2003. He is a part time sports announcer, and did play-by-play for the 2018 Carolina Cobras arena football championship season. He has also won several awards for his past documentary videos.
For Bennett, Tom produces BelleAir Radio – a weekly show airing on SiriusXM’s HBCU Network – and supervises students in live streaming campus events and creating campus videos. He is currently writing a feature length screenplay about a little-known Civil Right’s victory led by Bennett students in the 1930s. Tom has received recognition for his teaching by the National Alumnae Association, United Methodist Church and by vote of the college faculty. Tom believes that the JMS department should operate as a family, and the best work comes from a committed team. He develops strong relationships with his students, and he spends as much time as possible to help students who strive to do extra.
- We Just Happen To Be Deaf. Producer Tom Lipscomb, 2008 (Documentary)
Role: Producer, writer, videographer, editor, director (Documentary- Follows the life of a Deaf family)
- Quarterback Sneak. Producer Tom Lipscomb, 2007 (Feature Comedy)
Role: Producer, writer, videographer, editor, director, actor
- Ivan Koloff: The Most Hated Man In America. Producer Tom Lipscomb, 2004.
Role: Producer, writer, videographer, editor, director (Asheville Film Festival Competitor)
- Mayberry 2003. Producer Tom Lipscomb, 2004
Role: Producer, writer, videographer, editor, director (Carolina Film Festival)
- Atlantic City Scrabble Championship. Producer Tom Lipscomb, 2002
Role: Producer, writer, videographer, editor, director (2002 Best Student Documentary Carolina Film Festival, Featured Documentary on UNC- TV Visions Series)
- The Final Spring Break. Writer Tom Lipscomb, 2002 (Feature Script)