- Ph.D. in Biomedical Science – Concentrations: Prostate Cancer Research, Medical University of South Carolina
- B.S. in Biology, Winston-Salem State University
- Post-Graduate Academic Leadership Certificate, Chicago School of Professional Psychology, 2014
Dr. Willietta Gibson, a native of Durham, North Carolina, is the Interim Dean of the Division of Arts and Sciences, and Project Director of the Louis Stoke Alliance for Minority Participation (LSAMP) at Bennett College. Dr. Gibson’s research interests include breast cancer health disparities amongst African-American women and undergraduate STEM education. Dr. Willietta Gibson served as the Principle Investigator for Bennett College for a collaborative grant with North Carolina A&T State University and Elon University from the National Science Foundation, Improving Undergraduate STEM Education (NSF-IUSE) to improve laboratory instruction through implementation of case studies. In addition, she was the Campus Liaison for the Association of American Colleges and Universities, PCFF (Preparing Critical Faculty for the Future) project whose aim is to help institutions develop projects that will bring transformational change to undergraduate STEM education at HBCU’s.
- Thomas ZL, Gibson W, Sexton JZ, Aird, KM, Ingram SM, Aldrich A, Lylerly HK, Devi GR, Williams KP. (2011) Targeting GLI1 expression in human inflammatory breast cancer cells enhances apoptosis and attenuates migration. British Journal of Cancer 104: 1575-1586.
- Luster-Teasley S., Hargrove-Leak S., Gibson W. A Cross institutional study of the Case Study Teaching in the Sciences Method. American Society for Engineering Education, Conference Paper 2015.
- Luster-Teasley, S., & Hargrove-Leak, S. C., & Gibson, W. (2017, June), An Investigation of Student Impressions of the Case Study Teaching Method Paper presented at 2017 ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, Columbus, Ohio. https://peer.asee.org/27585
- Luster-Teasley S., Hargrove-Leak S, Gibson W, Leak R. (2017). Case studies in sustainability used in an introductory laboratory course to enhance laboratory instruction. Journal of STEM Education: Innovations & Research, 18(2).
- Gibson, W. (2019) The Biochemistry of Curly and Straight Hair. The National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science database. http://sciencecases.lib.buffalo.edu/cs/files/hair_biochem.pdf
- Campbell, S.D. & Gibson, W. (2019). Fostering a research identity across a small liberal arts college. In HUIC 2019 STEAM Education Proceedings. Honolulu, HI: Hawaii University International Conferences. Retrieved from https://huichawaii.org/ssec/proceedings-programs/proceedings-steam-2019-1-2/